Digital Asset Investment Report: Q4 2019


Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on facebook
Share on email

Url copied!

2019 Investment Highlights1
  • Total Investment into Grayscale Products: $607.7 million
  • Average Weekly Investment – All Products: $11.7 million
  • Average Weekly Investment – Grayscale Bitcoin Trust: $9.1 million2
  • Average Weekly Investment – Grayscale Products ex Bitcoin Trust: $2.6 million
  • Majority of investment (71%) came from institutional investors, dominated by hedge funds.
Q4 2019 Investment Highlights3
  • Total Investment into Grayscale Products: $225.5 million
  • Average Weekly Investment – All Products: $17.3 million
  • Average Weekly Investment – Grayscale Bitcoin Trust: $14.9 million4
  • Average Weekly Investment – Grayscale Products ex Bitcoin Trust5$2.4 million

The Takeaway

Grayscale raised $607.7 million in 2019, surpassing cumulative investment from 2013 through 2018 combined. Cumulative investment across the Grayscale family of products since inception reached $1.17 billion.


Grayscale saw back-to-back quarterly investment in excess of $225 million in 3Q19 and 4Q19. Grayscale Bitcoin Trust 4Q19 investment of $193.8 million marked the largest quarterly capital raise since inception.7


Grayscale expanded its investor base by approximately 24% in 2019, bringing on new clients that collectively accounted for $146.9 million of investment. The remaining $460.8 million came from existing investors. Moreover, 36% of clients now have allocations to multiple products within the Grayscale family, while the remaining 64% are invested in a single product.


Download the full Grayscale Digital Asset Investment Report (Q4 2019) below.

1 For the period from January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019.
2 Grayscale Bitcoin Trust was periodically closed to new investment throughout 2019.
3 For the period from October 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019.
4 Grayscale Bitcoin Trust was open to new investment from October 8, 2019 through October 22, 2019 but was otherwise closed in Q419.
5 “Grayscale Products ex Bitcoin Trust” include Grayscale Bitcoin Cash Trust, Grayscale Ethereum Trust, Grayscale Ethereum Classic Trust, Grayscale Horizen Trust, Grayscale Litecoin Trust, Grayscale Stellar Lumens Trust, Grayscale XRP Trust, Grayscale Zcash Trust, and Grayscale Digital Large Cap Fund.
6 Inception date: September 25, 2013.
7 Ibid

Access the Report

Related articles
An Introduction to Brave
An Introduction to Chainlink
An Introduction to Decentraland

Sign up and join the Grayscale community

* Required fields
Geometric shape

All set! Thank you.